Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Forgot to mention the Pi

Just in case you are reading this and wondering why I'm doing it all Linux like, its because of the Raspberry Pi.  Check out my Pi blog for some background.  Those of you who don't have any interest in the Pi, but still want to tinker with the code below should look to install a Linux Distro.  You can do it without breaking your Windows, just be aware that there are more flavours of Linux than there are varieties at Heinz.   The Pi I'm playing with runs Debian, so that's what I've used in the examples.  However, Fedora Core is nice, and Ubuntu is cool.  Note the package managers commands used for downloading and installing add-on software are very different between many Linux Distros.  Ubuntu and Debian use apt, whereas Suse uses RPM and Fedora / RedHat goes for RPM and yum.  Grab yourself a Linux Live DVD or install a virtual linux in Vbox, I won't say more about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment